#2 Joe Gerber @IDEO: Business thinking creates more opportunities for creativity, not less
Joe Gerber is a business designer and a managing director of IDEO CoLAB. After studying biology, taking an MBA, and working as a product manager, he joined IDEO as the first business designer in the New York office.
In the episode we spoke about:
- how to systematically test your design so that it achieves users and business goals,
- the role of vocabulary in bridging different design disciplines,
- how do you use design approach to reduce risks in highly risky business situations,
- and Joe's favourite business design questions that you can use in your project.
Listen to the episode
- 2:00 How did Joe go from studying Biology to taking an MBA and working at IDEO?
- 7:45 The role of vocabulary in bridging different design disciplines
- 9:20 How did Joe teach fellow designers about business?
- 14:30 Why is understanding business relevant for designers?
- 18:25 How to use simple math to create a learning plan for your project (Discovery Driven Planning)?
- 28:00 Examples of live prototyping
- 31:50 How do you measure and present results of design work?
- 39:15 What is venture design and who is it for?
- 46:20 Advice for designers who are just starting their career?
- 47:40 What is one thing about design Joe has changed his mind about?